Fire Damage Restoration – Useful Tips For Chicago Homeowners – Top 10 Fire Restoration Tips – ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons
A Fire or Smoke Damage is a disastrous and life-changing event for anyone. The Fire Damage Restoration & Recovery, however, doesn’t have to be a tedious and difficult one.
Servicemaster Restoration By Simons, Chicagoland’s trusted name in Fire Damage Restoration, has compiled this list of Do’s and Dont’s to help you navigate fire damage and its effects on your home. Though these tips are important, it is necessary to seek professional Fire Damage Restoration services from an IICRC Certified Master Fire Restorer to help you get your home back to pre-loss conditions – FAST!
Knowing where to begin and what to do immediately after an event can make the Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration process easier. Smoke and Water Damage from emergency responders are the main culprits behind any complications, so knowing how to respond can help you restore your home to normal.
- Do not enter your home immediately after a fire. The damage from the flames as well as water can weaken the walls and ceiling. Until you hear definitively that it is safe to enter your home from an expert source, such as emergency responders or restoration professionals, do not enter the building.
- Salvage important, sensitive documents. Once you have the green light to enter the building, search for any intact records and paperwork such as birth certificates, passports, and any other identifiable information. These items are easily lost or can be accidentally thrown away during the restoration process. Seeking and securing these items – if they weren’t lost in the first place – will help you move forward.
- Dry the damaged area. Since water is used to extinguished fires, the entire area will be soaked and susceptible to mold growth. Mold is damage that lives beyond the life of the fire, so it’s important to prevent it. Dry out any clothes, beddings, and other items soaked with water.
- Repair the floor and carpet. During the restoration process, it’s important to remember to fix, repair, or replace anything that could cause long-term damage. Since the floor and carpet will soak up water, they can host mold growth. Since you can’t dry the floor, carpet, and insulation like you can dry your clothing, it is likely it will have to be replaced.
- Clean your dishes. Smoke damage can be widespread throughout your house. If your dishes are covered in soot or were affected by smoke, take extra measures such as soaking them with bleach or washing them an extra time. Remember, your dishes are in direct contact with your food. Not cleaning them properly after a fire can pose serious health risks.
- Do not throw anything away. While it may be tempting just to trash destroyed belongings after a fire, keeping these items will make filing an insurance claim easier. Wait until the insurance assessor has arrived and reviewed all the damage before throwing things away.
- Take pictures. Even though you’ve taken the precaution of keeping damaged items for the insurance adjuster, it’s important to take pictures for your records. This way, if there’s ever a dispute concerning the extent of damage, you have documented the situation.
- Replace damaged money. If you had physical cash that was burnt or damaged in the fire, bring it to your regional Federal Reserve to have it replaced. This way the damaged money isn’t lost money.
- Seek professional guidance. ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons can help you consider all the necessary actions you need to take after a fire. They’ll guide you through the entire process of recovery and ensure you and your family are protected from further harm.
- Determine what is salvageable. Fortunately, if you seek the guidance of ServiceMaster Restoration by Simons, we will help you determine whether it’s better to restore an item or completely replace it. For instance, flooring damaged by water may need to be replaced while clothing can be restored. Remember, even if something looks “fine” on the outside, damage can still linger on the inside long after the fire.
IICRC Certified Master Fire & Smoke Restorer In Chicago Illinois
As an IICRC Certified Master Fire & Smoke Restorer, ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons is a trusted name in Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration in the Chicagoland area. With the latest practices in Fire & Smoke Restoration technology and state-of-the-art Air Filtration machinery, you can rest assured that your property will be restored to its pre-loss conditions — FAST!