Whether you have the condition or a loved one does, dealing with hoarding disorder is no easy feat in Norridge, Chicago. When someone in the family is afflicted with this illness, it is more than natural to want to help them. If assisting a hoarder is something you feel you need to do, following the five tips mentioned below may be helpful.
- Hit the Books: develop an understanding of what hoarding disorder is before trying to help. This will provide insight into what your loved one experiences on a daily basis.
- Be Sure You Have Enough Support For Yourself: Helping someone you care for with their hoarding problem can be quite difficult and stressful. Make sure you have good outlets of your own during the recovery process
- Be Patient: Don’t expect the cleanup to happen quickly. In fact, you should anticipate a potentially long battle. Just do your best to remain confident while things move forward, and sometimes backward, at their own pace.
- Reach Out to the Person: There is a good chance that the person you are helping won’t see their hoarding as a problem. It is important to be as understanding of their condition as possible.
- Be Supportive: Making the one you care for feel shameful of their hoarding won’t help anything. It’s important to remember that you are there to help them.
One last thing to keep in mind is you don’t have to be the only one assisting your family member. ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons offers hoarder cleanup services in Norridge, IL, and we can efficiently and compassionately provide the help you need when removing clutter from a hoarder’s living space.
ServiceMaster Restoration By Simons can help in the following ways:
- Tag and remove “keep” items
- Transport, cleaning, and storage of all furniture and appliances
- Transport items being donated, disposed of, or recycled
- Full cleaning of residence—including bathrooms and kitchens
- Full repainting of residence
- Complete repair or remodeling of residence
No matter what the circumstances are, our technicians will handle the entire cleaning process with extreme care and zero judgement. Give us a call at 773-376-1110 when you or a loved one is in need of hoarder cleanup in Norridge, Chicago, IL.